Thursday, July 4, 2013

summertime!

Summer vacation began 2weeks ago for us in Washington state. I have been so busy that i have not been making much progress with my 10 yard overshot warp. But my family is eating all home cooked meals our house is clean and my garden is beautifully weed free and flourishing. Its all about striking a balance for me.  My husband always says "a happy wife makes a happy life" he loves that little joke and i swear he navigates a conversation just to set it up to use that little jewel of his. But there is truth in the concept that making others happy will bring happiness back to you :) Truthfully, im in the final stretch of my warp and for once i have no clue what to put on next. Something with one shuttle for sure,or maybe a rag rug,maybe rep weave,maybe some kitchen towels,or Swedish lace! lol the dilemma of weavers through the ages"what should i weave next?" While i ponder this question i will show you what i have accomplished so far:
a beautiful bamboo/merino roving i bought at the Shepard's extravaganza
this is my second bobbin. I would consider buying a woolie winder, but i already have a dozen beautiful kromski bobbins. i just cant bring my self to do it.
there should be just enough left to fill my bobbin
i forgot to snap off a pic of the green overshot,but managed to angle my camera under the breast beam. I love this spring green :)
Then i was inspired by a colonial overshot coverlet i saw online one day. It hit me right between the  eyes,"wow that is the exact draft i have on my loom right now" How awesome was that? So i decided to give it a try and I'm liking it. I really like how the border looks like bunting.  Very patriotic :)
Happy Independence Day!


7 comments:

  1. Hello; the green overshot is a pattern worth doing, I would say; very refreshing. Can I ask where it is to be found? Very nice blog! Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! its on page 181 in the Handweavers Patternbook by Marguerite Porter Davison. i chopped off a portion of the border because it was alittle heavy for what i wanted. then i did 9 repeats of the center motif. i have done it in both treadlings and it is a lovely, very adaptable pattern :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the red, white and blue in that overshot pattern. You are right the border does look like bunting!
    Wishing you a Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all those beautiful overshots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for replying with the info! I have never woven overshot, but that pattern inspires me to start there. Wish me luck! Fran

      Delete
  4. You're so right about striking a balance and it's hard to do, isn't it? Your garden sounds nice and I'm sure that your family appreciates the cooking. I kill about half of what I plant, haha, so plants that I bring home should be rather afraid....I love the spring green! And that's a neat idea of weaving a patriotic one, I love the contrast of the two colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you please tell me where I can find the red white and blue draft? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete